Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fistful of First Dates_Volume 1

I have to admit that Jozefina has me staying busy.  Her dogged pursuit of my love interests has me averaging two to three dates a week. 

Now if I could only tell them apart.

Meeting one prospect after another is causing these first dates to blur together.  But what I do recall of them hasn't been memorable enough yet to blog about.  That was until my last two dates...
 
Being the independent woman on the verge of greatness, I always feel I should offer to pay my way the first date.  Yes, this is even if the guy asks ME out.  In all honesty, I'm rather shocked at the number of cheap bastards in DC who take me up on my offer.  But what else can you expect when I'm meeting these guys on a FREE dating service, right?  

So, shame on me, is it?

A recent date - let's call him Marine Mike - almost immediately asked me out after Jozefina's initial outreach message.  I asked if we could chat for a little while online, but he responded "I believe that there is often an inverse relationship with how interesting someone in chat than in person. : ). So I limit chatting online and treat it like we met out in public."  

I suggested grabbing a cup of coffee and dessert at a spot in Dupont.  We meet up, order tea, coffee and dessert, and sit down.  Marine Mike's life seems as bland as the gray button-down he's wearing.  We briefly talk about chemistry, and how we both agree that's key in dating/falling for someone.  We talk careers, where we grew up, families, etc.  Then he says the first thing all night long that actually captures my attention.  

He has three kids.  

THREE.  Not one.  Not two.  Three.  After the initial shock that someone has reproduced (multiple times) with this guy wore off, the topic naturally veered towards kids.  He asked my future plans.  I stressed the importance of my career at the moment, but that if the right man/time came along (in the not-so-near future at this rate) things may change.

Shortly before the check comes Marine Mike asks me "Do you always meet guys for coffee?"  

I gently mention that previous dates allow me to pay for myself, and that for initial short dates these are a great way to chat with the person, discover if you like them, etc. 

Then the check comes, and again Marine Mike - fuck it, we're calling him Loser #1 from this point on - allows me to pay for myself.  Poor guy.  He's got three kids to feed, right?

Two days later he sends me a message complimenting my energy, telling me he had a great time, and asking me out again whilst suggesting a rather expensive restaurants in town. 

I respond "Hi, It was nice meeting you too. I don't think we had any chemistry, though, and I'm sure you felt that, too. Bodega is a little rich for my blood at the moment with two trips I'm planning, so I'll pass.  I hope you have a great weekend and enjoy some of the Cherry Blossoms!"

He replies with "I thought you were attractive but I am hesitant to get involved with women who are looking for kids in the near term. So i hold back because ive been down that road before In terms of exploring physical chemistry, I dont think coffee is the best venue but it is an easy way to match a face to picture."  

(Grammatical and punctuation errors have been left in to demonstrate how much of a idiot this guy is.)

I'm a little shocked at his response, but maybe guys out there could shed some light on his retort? 

The comment about the coffee threw me, too.  Should I point out that he would have been just as drab and boring over an expensive, three-course dinner?  Not to mention he would have gotten the same/similar response from me when asked me out again?  

Now he can put that money he saved towards his kids' Disney fund. 
 
I'm mentally exhausted in having to put this experience down on paper.  How Carrie and the thousands of other dating bloggers out there do it, I don't know.  I'm out.  

Date #2 story coming soon.

Peace.


3 comments:

  1. crazy what a blow to a man's ego will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. namely complete denial and wipe out of rejection from memory

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. Chemistry is chemistry. You can have it over an ice cream cone! (though a cone can also be used as a weapon if you choose to break up with her over an ice cream and a walk)

    Where's story #2!?

    ReplyDelete