Friday, May 6, 2011

And Men Think We're Crazy....

So I have to apologize for my hiatus in updating this blog.  So much has happened since, but I do have to start this entry with the craziest Ok Cupid experience to date.

For a few weeks I have been chatting with a guy.  Let's call him "Z."  Just for the record Jozefina never picked this guy out.  He messaged me and Jozefina kindly approved my response and the go ahead to start corresponding.  (Yes, she even managed that aspect of the Cupid Experiment to make sure I didn't fall off the wagon and start responding to every loser who emailed.  I do that.)

After a whirlwind of new clients, two huge Earth day events and some birthdays and graduations I was finally able to schedule a date with Z.  The only day this week that I did not have plans was Thursday, May 5.  We settled on attending one of my favorite art events in DC and meeting up at 7:30pm.

The day of the date he sends me an email confirming the date, time and providing me with his digits should I need to reach him before.  Then he adds, "I read your profile again... I really like your pics and personality .. Are you very independed :)? Not sure what looking for? ... What are the options lol. Husband? Lover? Bf... Admirers?"

(Keep in mind that I have left in the grammatical errors)

I respond with "ha ha! Thanks for your number.  Here's mine.  See you later tonight.  As for what I'm looking for, I'm really not sure.  I am very independent, but that means nothing really."


As I'm leaving work I decide to meet up with the girls for a festive Cinco de Mayo margarita at Lauriol Plaza.  I send Z a text asking that he please text me when he's 15 minutes away from the venue so that I have time to get there.  His response?

Wait for it.

"Ok but you didn't answer my question :("

Really?  I mean, really really?  You didn't get from my first two responses that I am not ready to define what it is I'm looking for?  Isn't this a topic that sometimes (oftentimes) gets brought up on the first date anyway?  Why all the PRESSURE??

At this point I'm pissed.  I meet Jozefina in the corner and briefly catch her up on Z's obsession of having to know what is it I want.  I'm in the middle of sending the text when we jump into the cab.  I hit send and Jozefina asks me what I responded with.

Here goes: "I did in the email...and the text.  I don't know.  Why so much pressure?  This is just a first date.  Relax."

I read it out loud to Jozefina and she immediately scolds me for fighting with my date even before the date starts.  :)

But really.  How much can a girl take?  If the tables were turned, and I harassed my date that much before meeting, I would have him running for the hills, right?!

So now I'm stressing.  I'm stressing and I have started to consume tequila on an empty stomach.  I'm thinking about cancelling the date.  Jozefina wants to take a look a this guy's profile one more time.  We pull it up on my OK Cupid app.  (I love technology.)

Maybe there's something on there we missed?  Maybe his profile mentions an abusive childhood, or he's recently been released for some mental hospital, or that he was still sucking his mother's teat at the tender age of 14.

Something....anything...to clue us in on what's wrong with him.  We find nothing.  Regardless I'm just way too uncomfortable with the date, and I would much rather be with my girlfriends on Cinco de Mayo.  I decide to cancel.

I text him "Hey.  I have to cancel.  Very sorry, but I'm uncomfortable with our correspondence today.  Take care."  (Jozefina approved this text)

He replies "Yeah Sure!!!  Very classy last minute thnks :) I rather be upfront and honest...Read your profile a few times to know what that means I wasn't looking for sex or a wife."  (grammatical errors are all still his)

A few minutes later he sends me an OK Cupid response. "Stop stalking," he writes.  He must have noticed that we had visited his profile a few minutes before I cancelled.  Damn it!

Needless to say I had a fabulous night and quickly forgot about Z.  Now I just need to get around to blocking him on OK Cupid. 

1 comment:

  1. I must add that judging by his profile, Z was neither very attractive nor accomplished and had clear issues with punctuation and grammar rules. So why do men like that feel like they have the license to act like complete jerks?

    ReplyDelete